Eagles Fall to No. 34 Washington, Defeat Seattle University
Jan. 10, 2009
In an eventful day in Seattle, Wash., the Eastern Washington University fell to one of the top squads in the country before defeating a team playing its first match in six years. After falling to No. 34 Washington on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 10) by a 7-0 score, the Eagles responded by dispatching Seattle University 7-0 in the evening in that school's first contest since 2002.
Both matches were one sided, as the Huskies (1-0) swept all six singles matches in two sets apiece, and the Eagles (1-1) did the same to Seattle University (0-1). In the Washington contest, Eastern's No. 1 doubles team of Kyle Schraeder and Nico Riego de Dios took the Husky duo of Martin Kildahl and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan deep into their match before finally falling by an 8-5 score.
Against Seattle University, the six Eastern singles players combined to outscore their opponents by a 72-11 count. Three Eagles allowed just one game in their wins: Art Karas, Kenneth Norling and Daniel Pez.
Nico Riego de Dios played at No. 1 singles for the first time ever against the Huskies, while newcomers Chad Henninger and Kevin Anderson each saw their first action as Eagles today.
Eastern Washington is back in action next week with a pair of road matches, facing No. 66 Utah at 4 p.m. Pacific Time on Friday (Jan. 16) and Utah State at 9 a.m. next Saturday (Jan. 17). The Utes will open their 2009 campaign against Eastern, while the Aggies will face BYU in its season lidlifter the night before welcoming the Eagles.
Eastern Washington vs Washington
Jan 10, 2009 at Seattle, Wash.
#34 Washington 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Art Karas (EWU) 6-2, 6-2
4. David Chu (UW) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Daniel Pez (EWU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Chad Henninger (EWU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Martin Kildahl/J. Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Kyle Schraeder/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 8-5
2. Derek Drabble/Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Art Karas/Kenneth Norling (EWU) 8-2
3. Brad Bator/Alex Rosinski (UW) def. Daniel Pez/Chad Henninger (EWU) 8-4
Eastern Washington 0-1
Washington 1-0; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,1,4,5,3,6)
Eastern Washington vs Seattle University
Jan 10, 2009 at Seattle, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, Seattle University 0
1. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Mark Shkrebtan (SU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Alex Montgomery (SU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Art Karas (EWU) def. Patrick Boorkman (SU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kenneth Norling (EWU) def. Matt Enkema (SU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Dylan Reitz (SU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kevin Anderson (EWU) def. Adam Sturich (SU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Nico Riego de Dios/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Mark Shkrebtan/Alex Montgomery (SU) 8-3
2. Art Karas/Kenneth Norling (EWU) def. Patrick Boorkman/Matt Enkema (SU) 8-3
3. Chad Henninger/Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Adam Sturich/Dylan Reitz (SU) 8-1
Eastern Washington 1-1
Seattle University 0-1