Jan. 25, 2009
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team wrapped up a hectic stretch to the beginning of its season (seven matches in 17 days) with a dominating 7-0 road win over Northern Colorado on Sunday morning (Jan. 25) to open its Big Sky Conference season.
The Eagles, who had played three nationally-ranked teams in that stretch, improved to 4-3, while the Bears fell to 0-1 after dropping their first match of 2009.
Eastern won every doubles contest by at least 8-5 and then swept each of the six singles contests in two sets apiece. In doubles, Daniel Pez and Kevin Anderson had Eastern's best performance, claiming an 8-1 victory on court three.
In singles play, Pez followed up his quality doubles play with the most resounding singles win, 6-2, 6-1, on the fourth court. Art Karas was also dominating in his match on court three, prevailing, 6-3, 6-1.
The 7-0 victory was the second of the season for the Eagles, who had also defeated Seattle University by that score on Jan. 10.
The Eagles now take a well-deserved 23-day break from competition before playing its annual match in Spokane, Wash., against Gonzaga. That contest will start at 5 p.m. on Feb. 18. Gonzaga's return visit will occur on April 9 on the EWU campus.
Eastern Washington vs Northern Colorado
Jan 25, 2009 at Greeley, Colo.
Eastern Washington 7, Northern Colorado 0
1. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) def. PEREZ, Adam (UNC) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
2. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. VAN LIER, Calix (UNC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. GREEN, Andy (UNC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. BOECKER, Jordan (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Norling, Kenneth (EWU-M) def. MUNDELL, Clay (UNC) 6-4, 6-4
6. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) def. LEPINE, Andre (UNC) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
1. SCHRAEDER, Kyle/RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico (EWU-M) def. PEREZ, Adam/VAN LIER, Calix (UNC) 8-5
2. KARAS, Art/NORLING, Kenneth (EWU-M) def. BOECKER, Jordan/MUNDELL, Clay (UNC) 8-5
3. PEZ, Daniel/ANDERSON, Kevin (EWU-M) def. LEPINE, Andre/GREEN, Andy (UNC) 8-1
Eastern Washington 4-3, 1-0 BSC
Northern Colorado 0-1, 0-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)