Eastern Narrowly Loses Doubles Point, Falls to Oregon
Jan. 26, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team nearly stole the doubles point in a road match-up with Oregon on Friday night (Jan. 25) before the Ducks (3-0) pulled out that vital point and defeated the Eagle by a 6-1 score.
Eastern's No. 3 doubles team of Patrick Millican and Jonathan Davis gutted out a 9-8 decision to tie the doubles contests at 1-1 before the first court saw Pannhara Mam and Kyle Schraeder get outlasted by that same 9-8 score.
The Eagles (0-2) now look ahead to their home opener, which will take place at 11 a.m. next Saturday (Feb. 2) versus Nevada. The Wolf Pack has yet to play a contest this year, as Nevada will open its campaign versus California today (Jan. 26). The Eagles will also play host to Whitman later that day, with that match slated to start at 5 p.m.
Eastern Washington vs Oregon
1/26/08 at Eugene, Ore.
Oregon 6, Eastern Washington 1
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Alexand. Cornelissen (UO) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Marcos Verdasco (UO) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Romeo Mortera (UO) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Francisco Gallardo (UO) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Mike Myrhed (UO) def. Art Karas (EWU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
6. Stephen Wiechert (UO) def. Patrick Millican (EWU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Francisco Gallardo/Marcos Verdasco (UO) def. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 9-8
2. Alexand. Cornelissen/Mike Myrhed (UO) def. Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 8-4
3. Jonathan Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Romeo Mortera/Stephen Wiechert (UO) 9-8
Eastern Washington 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,2,5,1,4)