March 7, 2009
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team had a dominating 7-0 Big Sky Conference win over Montana State on Saturday morning (March 7). The Eagles swept all six singles matches in straight sets after taking two of the three doubles contests.
The most dominating singles wins of the day for the Eagles were crafted by Kyle Schraeder and Julian Sanchez on courts two and five, respectively, as each had 6-2, 6-2 victories.
Nico Riego de Dios was successful, 7-5, 6-1 at No. 1, and Art Karas prevailed, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 3 position. Daniel Pez claimed his No. 4 contest, 6-4, 6-2, while Chad Henninger put together a 6-2, 6-3 victory on court six.
In doubles, Riego de Dios and Schraeder had an 8-4 win at No. 1, while Anderson and Karas pulled out an 8-6 victory on the third court.
Eastern Washington has now defeated Montana State three straight times after falling in the previous 27. The Eagles improve to 7-5, 2-1 in Big Sky play, with the victory.
The Eagles will play host to Idaho (8-5) at noon on Sunday (March 8). Please note that this match time was just adjusted earlier this week.
Montana State vs Eastern Washington
Mar 07, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, Montana State 0
1. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. SMITH, Corey (MSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) def. DYBALA, Jakub (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. TURZANSKI, Pawel (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. KEYES, Fletcher (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Sanchez, Julian (EWU-M) def. FUENTES, Alberto (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) def. FERRERO, Esteban (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico/SCHRAEDER, Kyle (EWU-M) def. DYBALA, Jakub/TURZANSKI, Pawel (MSU) 8-4
2. FUENTES, Alberto/SMITH, Corey (MSU) def. PEZ, Daniel/SANCHEZ, Julian (EWU-M) 8-3
3. ANDERSON, Kevin/KARAS, Art (EWU-M) def. KEYES, Fletcher/KOVAS, David (MSU) 8-6
Montana State 7-4, 1-1 BSC
Eastern Washington 7-5, 2-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team picked up its second successive Big Sky Conference road win in as many days, defeating Idaho State 5-2 on Saturday morning (March 7). The victory moved Eastern's record to 4-2 in league play, 6-5 overall.
Eastern took both of the two doubles matches that were played, with Amanda Mankovits and Marie Demerath claiming an 8-5 win on court one, and Kasie King and Caitlin Bampton winning 8-3 on the second court. As ISU has just five players on its current roster, Eastern claimed the No. 3 doubles match due to that fact.
For the same reason, Eastern immediately took a 2-0 lead, as Idaho State needed to default at No. 6 singles. The Eagles then proceeded to take a quick, insurmountable, 4-0 lead with dominating victories by Heather Handwerk on the fifth court, 6-1, 6-0, and Rachel Berger at No. 3 by 6-3, 6-0 scores.
Idaho State (0-7, 0-2 BSC) did, however, cut the score to 4-2 when Eastern's Marie Demerath needed to retire from her No. 1 match, and Caitlin Bampton, who just two matches ago was playing 5, fell 6-1, 7-5 in the No. 2 contest. However, the court four contest saw Judy Liening complete the day with a 6-3, 6-3 victory.
Eastern Washington continues its busy road trip of three matches in three days with a contest versus Utah State on Sunday (March 8). First serve is set for 9 a.m. Pacific Time. The Aggies improved to 2-7 with a 5-2 win over Idaho State in their last outing on Wednesday (March 4).
Eastern Washington vs Idaho State
Mar 07, 2009 at Pocatello, Idaho
Eastern Washington 5, Idaho State 2
1. LEWIS, Lisel (ISU) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) 6-3, 1-2, retired
2. DANG, Sophie (ISU) def. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) 6-1, 7-5
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) def. ROLDAN, Stephanie (ISU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) def. FUJIWARA, Risa (ISU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Handwerk, Heather (EWU-W) def. OGBORN, Kelli (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
6. No player (EWU-W) def. No player (ISU), by default
1. MANKOVITS, Amanda/DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) def. DANG, Sophie/ROLDAN, Stephanie (ISU) 8-5
2. KING, Kasie/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. LEWIS, Lisel/FUJIWARA, Risa (ISU) 8-3
3. No player/No player (EWU-W) def. No player/No player (ISU), by default
Eastern Washington 6-5, 4-2 BSC
Idaho State 0-7, 0-2 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,3,1,2,4)