Eagles See Record Streak Snapped by #23 UW
March 14, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team finally saw its school-record nine-match winning streak snapped at the hands of No. 23 Washington. The Eagles were defeated by the host Huskies 7-0 in a non-conference match on Friday afternoon (March 14).
The closest doubles match today came courtesy of Jonathan Davis and Patrick Millican, as the two fell 8-6 on court two to Brad Bator and Andy Kuharszky. In singles, Kyle Schraeder had the best Eagles performance, as he fell 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 2 position.
Eastern Washington's nine-match winning streak was the team's longest attained in the NCAA Division I era (records are incomplete prior to Eastern joining the Division I ranks in 1984). The previous record was eight, set by the 1985 team from March 2-April 12 of that year.
Washington extended its winning streak to six with its victory today.
The Eagles now focus on finals before setting off for California. Their next contest will be at 3 p.m. on March 24 versus Fresno City College. The Eagles will also take on Fresno Pacific, No. 48 Fresno State and Big Sky Conference opponent Sacramento State on their trip to the Golden State.
Eastern Washington vs Washington
3/14/08 at Seattle, Wash.
#23 Washington 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. #82 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Pannhara Mam (EWU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 6-2, 6-3
4. David Chu (UW) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Art Karas (EWU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Jonathan Davis (EWU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Derek Drabble/Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 8-3
2. Brad Bator/Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Jonathan Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU) 8-6
3. Tobi Obenaus/Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 8-1
Eastern Washington 9-3
Washington 11-4; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,2,3,5,4)