Eagles Rally for 4-3 Win Over Portland
April 5, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team outlasted Portland in a back-and-forth contest in the Rose City on Saturday morning (April 5). Daniel Pez broke a 3-3 tie with a three-set victory on the sixth court.
Portland grabbed early control of the contest by taking all three doubles contests to earn the doubles point. From then out, the teams traded momentum until Pez completed his dramatic win. The Eagles were up 2-1 in the match, while Portland went up 3-2.
Equally as important as Pez's win, however, was a clutch 6-4, 5-7, 7-5 victory by Art Karas at No. 5. That tied the score at 3-all and set the stage for Pez to snap the tie. On two earlier occasions this season Pez had done the same, in 4-3 wins over Idaho on March 5 and Montana State on Feb. 22.
"The character of the guys really showed this match," interim head coach Darren Haworth said. "They overcame a difficult situation and really made the best out of it. After losing the doubles point, the guys really pulled together as a team and stepped up."
The Eagles (11-6) have now reached the 11-win mark for just the third time since joining the NCAA Division I ranks in 1984. Eastern Washington now sets its sets on the top two win totals, set by the 2007 (14-12) and 1985 (13-10) squads.
EWU (3-1 BSC) continues Big Sky Conference play at 10 a.m. on Sunday (April 6) against Portland State (5-11, 1-4 BSC).
Eastern Washington vs Portland
4/5/08 at Portland, Ore.
Eastern Washington 4, Portland 3
1. Filip Zivkovic (UP) def. Pannhara Mam (EWU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Dillon Pottish (UP) 6-1, 6-3
3. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Bryan Thorp (UP) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Evan Schleining (UP) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Art Karas (EWU) def. Charlie Yemm (UP) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
6. Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Renaldo Domoney (UP) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
1. Filip Zivkovic/Charlie Yemm (UP) def. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 8-2
2. Evan Schleining/Renaldo Domoney (UP) def. Jonathan Davis/Daniel Pez (EWU) 9-7
3. Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Bryan Thorp/Nick Wales (UP) 8-6
Eastern Washington 11-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6)