Eagles Blank Zags 7-0
April 9, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team moved to within one of the school record for victories in a season with a 7-0 blanking of Gonzaga in a road contest on Wednesday evening (April 9).
The victory moved Eastern to 13-6, one shy of the team's record for wins since moving to the NCAA Division I ranks in 1984 (the 2007 squad finished 14-12). One more win would also clinch Eastern its highest winning percentage ever in the Division I era (the 1985 team went 13-10 for a .565 winning percentage).
Everybody was on top of his game tonight. Eastern took 2-of-3 doubles matches to earn the doubles point, and four of EWU's six singles players won their matches in straight sets.
The Eagles have now defeated Gonzaga three straight times and swept the home-and-home series this year, winning 7-0 both times.
Eastern Washington has now played its final non-conference match of the season. The Eagles will close out the 2008 regular season with three straight Big Sky Conference contests. First up for EWU (4-1 BSC) will be Northern Arizona (6-13, 3-3 BSC) at 11 a.m. on Friday (April 11).
Eastern Washington vs Gonzaga
4/9/08 at Spokane, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, Gonzaga 0
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Stefan Feddersen (GU) 7-6, 6-4
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Roman Dojcak (GU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Conor Feeney (GU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kenneth Norling (EWU) def. Zack Radetzky (GU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
5. Art Karas (EWU) def. Cooper Fratt (GU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (13-11)
6. Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Charles Adams (GU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Stefan Feddersen/Zack Radetzky (GU) 8-6
2. Logan Napolsky/Roman Dojcak (GU) def. Patrick Millican/Jonathan Davis (EWU) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Conor Feeney/Cooper Fratt (GU) 8-3
Eastern Washington 13-6