April 10, 2009
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team finished up its home and Big Sky Conference schedules in a resounding fashion, blanking visiting Portland State by a 7-0 score on Friday afternoon (April 10).
The win allowed the Eagles to finish 6-2 in league play, currently in second place in the Big Sky standings, just ahead of Northern Arizona (5-2). Also in the running for second place are Montana State (2-1) and Montana (3-2). Sacramento State (7-0) has clinched the regular-season title.
Eastern is now 15-8 overall and has earned the second-highest win total in Eagle annals (dating to 1984, as records are incomplete prior to that season). The only team to claim a higher total was the 2008 squad, which finished 18-7.
Eastern took all three doubles matches today in addition to the six singles matches, each in straight sets. The most dominating doubles match was courtesy of Art Karas and Chad Henninger, who had an 8-3 win on court three. The best singles victory was crafted by Daniel Pez, as he blanked his opponent twice in a 6-0, 6-0 victory.
Also, Kyle Schraeder became the second Eagle in history to reach the 50-win mark, his 50th one coming today by 6-4, 6-3 scores. Art Karas had previously attained that milestone and won his 57th today by 6-3, 6-3 scores, extending his school-record total.
Prior to the match, the 2008 Big Sky championship banner was unfurled and Eastern's four seniors - Pannhara Mam, Schraeder, Karas and Pez - were honored.
They have combined for a 57-35 overall record and 21-8 Big Sky mark in their time at Eastern Washington, 9.5 times as many wins as the previous four years combined (6-52) and 21 times as many league victories as that earlier four-year period (1-25).
The Eagles wrap up the regular season with a pair of matches on April 19 in Moscow, Idaho, facing Seattle University at 10 a.m. and host Idaho at 3 p.m.
Portland State vs Eastern Washington
Apr 10, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, Portland State 0
1. Riego de Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. RICE, Chris (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Mam, Pannhara (EWU-M) def. VanDERSCHELDEN, Alex (PSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) def. ERICKSON, Kyle (PSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. CERO, Jeff (PSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. VALACH, Branislav (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sanchez, Julian (EWU-M) def. BLACKNER, Adam (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico/SCHRAEDER, Kyle (EWU-M) def. RICE, Chris/HART, Alex (PSU) 8-6
2. PEZ, Daniel/MAM, Pannhara (EWU-M) def. VanDERSCHELDEN, Alex/BLACKNER, Adam (PSU) 8-4
3. KARAS, Art/HENNINGER, Chad (EWU-M) def. ERICKSON, Kyle/CERO, Jeff (PSU) 8-3
Portland State 9-12, 2-6 BSC
Eastern Washington 15-8, 6-2 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,3,2,4,6,1)
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team finished up its second match versus top opposition in less than 24 hours in Pullman, Wash., with a 7-0 loss to UC Santa Barbara (15-5).
The closest doubles contest was on court three, as Kasie King and Caitlin Bampton fell to Asagi Onaga and Bryanna Ojeda by an 8-5 score. The Gauchos would sweep the three doubles contests and claim each of the six singles matches in straight sets.
Eastern (8-10) will now play its third and fourth matches in a three-day span with a home doubleheader on Saturday (April 11).
The team will take on Portland at 9 a.m. before facing Seattle University at 1 p.m. The Pilots are 5-10 and play Gonzaga on Friday, while the Redhawks are 4-4 and also play the Bulldogs today.
UC Santa Barbara vs Eastern Washington
Apr 10, 2009 at Pullman, Wash.
UC Santa Barbara 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. MURPHY, Michelle (UCSB) def. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-3
2. DAMION, Jill (UCSB) def. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-3
3. NOVAK, Sofia (UCSB) def. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-1
4. LOZANO, Natalia (UCSB) def. King, Kasie (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-1
5. ONAGA, Asagi (UCSB) def. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-4
6. OJEDA, Bryanna (UCSB) def. Handwerk, Heather (EWU-W) 6-0, 6-0
1. NOVAK, Sofia/MURPHY, Michelle (UCSB) def. DEMERATH, Marie/MANKOVITS, Amanda (EWU-W) 8-1
2. DAMION, Jill/LOZANO, Natalia (UCSB) def. BERGER, Rachel/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) 8-1
3. ONAGA, Asagi/OJEDA, Bryanna (UCSB) def. KING, Kasie/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) 8-5
UC Santa Barbara 15-5
Eastern Washington 8-10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,4,5,2,1)