EWU Completes Perfect Home Schedule, Moves to 15-6
April 18, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team put the finishing touches on a perfect 8-0 home season on Friday morning (April 18) with a dominating 6-1 win over Weber State. The victory moved the Eagles in second place in the Big Sky Conference standings, half a game over the Wildcats with one match to play.
Eastern Washington extended its winning streak to five while snapping Weber State's own five-match streak. The Eagles improve to 15-6 to set a new school record for most wins since joining the NCAA Division I ranks in 1984. Eastern Washington also moved to 6-1 in Big Sky play to set a school mark for wins in that category, as well.
Kenneth Norling provided the clinching victory when he gutted out a 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) victory on court four. His victory came moments after Eastern's No. 1 player, Pannhara Mam finished off a 6-4, 6-3 win. Kyle Schraeder was the first singles player to finish, and he did so as the result of a 6-4, 6-3 victory.
The Eagles swept all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point and gain early momentum in the contest.
The Eagles have one regular-season match still to play, which will commence at 10 a.m. Pacific Time on Sunday (April 20) at Montana. A win would earn Eastern the No. 2 seed at next weekend's Big Sky Championship.
Weber State vs Eastern Washington
4/18/08 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 6, Weber State 1
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Henning Hipp (WSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Sascha Kiehne (WSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Fabio Mancarella (WSU) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Kenneth Norling (EWU) def. Nick Plum (WSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Art Karas (EWU) def. Chris Williams (WSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Spencer Marchant (WSU) 7-6, 7-6
1. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Sascha Kiehne/Fabio Mancarella (WSU) 8-6
2. Patrick Millican/Jonathan Davis (EWU) def. Henning Hipp/Nick Plum (WSU) 8-5
3. Nico Riego de Dios/Art Karas (EWU) def. Spencer Marchant/Ryan Garner (WSU) 8-6
Weber State 13-9, 6-2 BSC
Eastern Washington 15-6, 6-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6)