April 20, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team finished off its incredible 2008 regular season with a 6-1 road victory over Montana on Sunday morning (April 20). The victory clinched for Eastern sole possession of second place in the Big Sky Conference standings and the second seed at the Big Sky Championship.
The victory moved Eastern Washington's overall record to 16-6 and its league is now complete at 7-1. The Eagles have already set school records this year (in the NCAA Division I era) for overall wins, Big Sky wins and winning percentage. The Eagles will enter the Big Sky Tournament riding a six-match winning streak.
In today's contest, the Eagles grabbed 2-of-3 doubles matches to go up 1-0. In singles play, both Art Karas and Daniel Pez claimed straight-set wins. Pez has gone an incredible 13-1 this season in singles matches. Meanwhile, Kyle Schraeder and Pannhara Mam gutted out three-set victories today.
The Eagles, by virtue of being the No. 2 seed, have earned an automatic bye into the semifinal round of the Big Sky Tournament and will play either third-seeded Weber State, No. 4 Montana State or fifth-seeded Northern Arizona at 2 p.m. on Saturday (April 26). Sacramento State is hosting the Championship at Gold River Racquet Club in Gold River, Calif.
Eastern Washington vs Montana
4/20/08 at Missoula, Mont.
Eastern Washington 6, Montana 1
1. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Mikolaj Borkowski (UM) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
2. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Colin Dektar (UM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Felipe Raw (UM) 4-1, retired
4. Raydner Ramos (UM) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Art Karas (EWU) def. David Cysneiros (UM) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Alexandre Gorj (UM) 6-1, 6-0
1. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Colin Dektar/Mikolaj Borkowski (UM) 8-2
2. Felipe Raw/Raydner Ramos (UM) def. Patrick Millican/Jonathan Davis (EWU) 8-2
3. Nico Riego de Dios/Art Karas (EWU) def. David Cysneiros/Alexandre Gorj (UM) 8-3
Eastern Washington 16-6, 7-1 BSC
Montana 7-8, 3-5 BSC