Cowgirls Handle Eagles, 4-1

Early lead and injury contribute to Eastern loss

Wyoming scored an early goal in the first 10 minutes of play and hung on to the lead for a 4-1 win against the Eastern Washington University women’s soccer team on Sunday (Sept. 2) at Louis S. Madrid Sports Complex in Laramie, Wyo.

The first goal of the game came from Wyoming’s Carmen Blume off an assist from Sara Paul. Paul sent a well-placed corner kick into the box that Blume latched on to, heading it in for her first goal of the season.

Twenty minutes later, Paul sent a through-ball to Sydney Jones. Jones rocketed off a 20-foot shot that soared high into the goal, out of reach of Eastern’s goalkeeper Jamie Walker.

Eastern’s Alisha Stott found two on-goal scoring opportunities in the first half, but her attempts were thwarted by goalkeeper Carmen McDermott.

Back on the other end of the field, an initial shot taken by Wyoming’s Sheree Small was saved by goalkeeper Nathalie Schwery. But a fumble in the box allowed freshman Jennifer Paul, sister of Sara Paul, to collect the loose ball and put it in the bottom right corner of the net for team goal number three.

“When you give up a goal as quickly as we did, you end up chasing the rest of the game,” said head coach George Hageage. “We came out in the first half looking tired. All of us were disappointed in the effort, but you have to give credit to Wyoming for capitalizing on opportunities.”

The Eagles came back out in the second half on fire, putting home a goal off a set piece in the first seven minutes. Stott took the kick and slotted the ball through to senior forward Kasey McNeill, who cut the ball back to her right foot and sent a shot to the back post to bring the score to 3-1.

“We encourage our athletes to be creative with plays,” said Hageage.  “This is not a play we have worked on in practice, but they were creative, made it work, and got the goal.”

But the energy did not last long, as Wyoming responded four minutes later with a goal from Olivia Mohtadi -- her third of the season. The ball was sent into a crowded box by Cowgirl Lucie McDowell and players scrambled for the ball, but Mohtadi was able to recover it, finding the back of the net for the final 4-1 tally of the game.  

Unfortunately, senior leader Lauren Jacobsen went down with a knee injury in the second half and was not able to return.

 “We fought better in the second half than we did in the first, even though they had more shots than us,” said Hageage. “This showing is not indicative of the team we are.”

View: Mobile | Desktop