The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team picked up its tenth win of the season with a close 4-3 victory over Seattle University Sunday (April 4) at the Thorpe Fieldhouse in Cheney, Wash.
Kelsey Knight got the first singles win for the Eagles with a solid match at No. 3 singles. After playing a close first set at 7-5, Knight came out with great emotional intensity and bested her opponent in the second set 6-0.
On the No. 1 singles court, Caitlin Bampton won a clutch match against Ariel Ohno 7-6, 7-6 to get the Eagles second singles win of the day.
The match-clincher came down to the last match on the court as Ryann Warner outlasted Aya Sugimoto at No. 6 singles 6-4, 7-4.
The match marked the second time the two teams met this season, as the Eagles also cashed in a 4-3 victory over the Redhawks on Feb. 13.
The Eagles were able to capture the doubles point by playing aggressive at the net.
"I am really pleased with the intensity at the net and the renewed emphasis on closing," said associate head coach Dale Silha. "We lost the doubles point to this team early in the season and today we showed why that aggressive play is so important."
The Eagles are now 10-8 overall on the year and with one more victory will have the most wins in a season since the 1988-89 season. Eastern remains 4-2 in the Big Sky Conference and will take on Northern Arizona and Gonzaga this weekend.
Eastern Washington 4, Seattle 3
Apr 04, 2010 at Eastern Washington University (Thorpe Fieldhouse)
1. BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. OHNO, Ariel (SU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5)
2. SCHWAB, Katrina (SU) def. DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
3. KNIGHT, Kelsey (EWU-W) def. JENKS, Audree (SU) 7-5, 6-0
4. CHENG, Whitney (SU) def. PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-3
5. MORTERA, Steffanie (SU) def. LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-1
6. WARNER, Ryann (EWU-W) def. SUGIMOTO, Aya (SU) 6-4, 7-5
1. KNIGHT, Kelsey/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. CHENG, Whitney/JENKS, Audree (SU) 8-4
2. DEMERATH, Marie/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) def. OHNO, Ariel/MORTERA, Steffanie (SU) 8-6
3. SCHWAB, Katrina/PETERSON, Mikaela (SU) def. PATTON, Chelsea/WARNER, Ryann (EWU-W) 8-6
Eastern Washington 10-8 (4-2 BSC)