Rookies Moira Hedberg and Chrissy Uriarte nab singles wins for EWU
That first win of the season continues to elude the Eastern Washington University women's tennis team. Eastern suffered its sixth-consecutive loss on Thursday (Feb. 16) when it fell to Gonzaga, 5-2, at the Jim Thorpe Fieldhouse in Cheney, Wash.
Although the team faltered as a whole, two of its youngest members stepped up for a couple inspiring wins in singles.
Freshman Moira Hedberg evened her season record to 3-3 with a big victory at No. 1. Hedberg bested Gonzaga's Prue Teitzel in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5.
Fellow rookie Chrissy Uriarte also won in straight sets at No. 4 singles. Uriarte opened the match with a dominant 6-0 performance in the first set, followed by a 7-5 victory in the second. The win was Uriarte's first of the season.
Junior Chelsea Patton fell at No. 2 to Katie Edwards, 6-1, 7-5, while sophomore Kelsey Knight dropped her match at No. 3, 7-5, 6-2. Juniors Ryann Warner and Rocio Norena also lost in straight sets at No. 5 and 6, respectively.
Gonzaga had captured the doubles point earlier in the night with an 8-4 win at No. 1 and 2, and an 8-3 decision at No. 3.
The women's team will have more than a week off before its next match on Feb. 24 against Lewis-Clark State in Lewiston, Idaho.
Gonzaga 5, Eastern Washington 2
02/16/12 at Cheney, Wash. (Jim Thorpe Fieldhouse)
1. HEDBERG, Moira (EWU-W) def. TEITZEL, Prue (GON) 6-3, 7-5
2. EDWARDS, Katie (GON) def. PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) 6-1, 7-5
3. ZAUERE, Kristina (GON) def. KNIGHT, Kelsey (EWU-W) 7-5, 6-2
4. URIARTE, Chrissy (EWU-W) def. PEEK, Kylie (GON) 6-0, 7-5
5. LANTTA, Sophie (GON) def. WARNER, Ryann (EWU-W) 6-4, 6-3
6. PARKER, Madeline (GON) def. NORENA, Rocio (EWU-W) 7-5, 6-3
1. TEITZEL, Prue/ZAUERE, Kristina (GON) def. HEDBERG, Moira/PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) 8-4
2. PEEK, Kylie/EDWARDS, Katie (GON) def. KNIGHT, Kelsey/URIARTE, Chrissy (EWU-W) 8-4
3. PARKER, Madeline/LANTTA, Sophie (GON) def. WARNER, Ryann/NORENA, Rocio (EWU-W) 8-3
Eastern Washington 0-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)