Jan. 27, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team ran into a tough in-state opponent in the Washington Huskies on Sunday morning (Jan. 27), as the visiting Eagles came up on the short end of a 7-0 score.
The Huskies (3-1) grabbed all three doubles matches, the closest being an 8-5 defeat by EWU's No. 3 pair of Marie Demerath and Sarah Leuenberger, and then won each of the singles contests to complete their win. The best Eagle performance in singles play came courtesy of Kasey Knox, who fell in a 6-3, 6-3 decision on court one.
Eastern Washington (0-2) now will set its eyes on its home opener, to be played at 5 p.m. on Wednesday (Jan. 30). The visitors will be Inland Northwest rivals Idaho, who is 1-1 on the season after defeating Lewis-Clark State and losing to Washington State, each by 7-0 scores. That will be Eastern's final home contest until March 1.
Eastern Washington vs Washington
1/27/08 at Seattle, Wash.
#70 Washington 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. Venise Chan (UW) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Rachel Berger (EWU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Allison Rainey (UW) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Kelsey Anonsen (UW) def. Marie Demerath (EWU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Joyce Ardies/Tara Simpson (UW) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-4
2. Kelsey Anonsen/Venise Chan (UW) def. Rachel Berger/Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 8-2
3. Ashley Anderson/Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW) def. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 8-5
Eastern Washington 0-2
Washington 3-1; National ranking #70
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,3,1,2,6)