Eastern Just Short Against Bulldogs
Feb. 3, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women’s tennis team fell in the first of its annual home-and-home series with Gonzaga, 4-3, at the Spokane Racquet Club on Tuesday evening (Feb. 3).
In doubles play, Gonzaga claimed the No. 3 match and Eastern was set to take the battle taking place on court one before Kelsey Knight had to retire due to an injury. She and Amanda Mankovits were up at the time, 7-4. That win clinched for the Bulldogs the doubles tally and a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
The Eagles then stormed back into the lead, grabbing victories in the first two matches to finish to take a 2-1 edge. Rachel Berger was first off the court following a 6-3, 6-1 victory. Marie Demerath was next when she was victorious by 6-4, 6-4 scores.
However, Gonzaga grabbed control right back with wins in the next two contests to finish, the Nos. 1 and 4 matches. Another Eagle needing to retire from her match, Heather Handwerk, sealed the team result for the host Bulldogs (1-0). Judy Liening finished off the day with a victory at court five, 6-1, 6-3.
Eastern Washington (2-2) now looks ahead to opening up its home and Big Sky Conference slates at 11 a.m. on Sunday (Feb. 8) against the seven-time defending league champion Sacramento State Hornets.
The 45th-ranked visitors have won 52 straight contests over Big Sky schools and are coming off a 7-0 road win over No. 29 Pepperdine. They will play 59th-ranked Washington State the day prior to making their way to Cheney.
Eastern Washington vs Gonzaga
Feb 03, 2009 at Spokane, Wash.
Gonzaga 4, Eastern Washington 3
1. KOKURINA, Aglaya (GU) def. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) 6-2, 6-3
2. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) def. MEHNDIRATTA, Rika (GU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) def. FARMER, Danielle (GU) 6-3, 6-1
4. ZAUERE, Kristina (GU) def. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-2
5. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) def. PARKER, Madeline (GU) 6-1, 6-3
6. DODGE, Clare (GU) def. Handwerk, Heather (EWU-W) 6-3, 1-0, retired
1. FARMER, Danielle/MEHNDIRATTA, Rika (GU) def. MANKOVITS, Amanda/KNIGHT, Kelsey (EWU-W) 4-7, retired
2. KOKURINA, Aglaya/DODGE, Clare (GU) def. BAMPTON, Caitlin/DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) 8-4
3. PARKER, Madeline/ZAUERE, Kristina (GU) def. BERGER, Rachel/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) 8-2
Eastern Washington 2-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,1,4,6,5)