Eagles Fall to Utes
Feb. 11, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team ended its challenging stretch of four straight matches versus nationally-ranked opponents to start its 2008 season with a 7-0 loss to No. 67 Utah on Sunday (Feb. 10) in Boise, Idaho.
The closest doubles match saw Utah's Evgenia Kryuchkova and Leigh Walsh defeat Sarah Leuenberger and Marie Demerath, 8-4, in the second position. In singles, Leuenberger stayed close in a 6-2, 7-5 loss on court three, while Demerath lost in a match decided by a close supertiebreaker in the No. 5 match, 4-6, 6-0, (10-8).
The Eagles will now set their focus on a trip to Portland, Ore., and the start of Big Sky Conference play. On Friday (Feb. 15), Eastern will take on Portland (3-5), while the Eagles will face Portland State (1-3, 1-1 BSC) the next day. Both matches begin at 9 a.m.
Eastern Washington vs Utah
2/10/08 at Boise, Idaho
#67 Utah 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. Elizabeth Ferris (Utah) def. Kasey Knox (EWU); 6-0, 6-0
2. Evgenia Kryuchkova (Utah) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU); 6-3, 6-2
3. Erin Monson (Utah) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU); 6-2, 7-5
4. Leigh Walsh (Utah) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU); 6-3, 6-2
5. Karine Bourdages (Utah) def. Marie Demerath (EWU); 4-6, 6-0 (10-8)
6. Andrea Maughan (Utah) def. Judy Liening (EWU); 6-0, 6-0
1. Elizabeth Ferris/Emily Kwok (Utah) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU); 8-0
2. Leigh Walsh/Evgenia Kryuchkova (Utah) def. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU); 8-4
3. Andrea Maughan/Erin Monson (Utah) def. Kerstyn Dolack/Judy Liening (EWU); 8-1
Eastern Washington 0-4
Utah 4-2; National ranking #67