Eagles Win Third Straight, Top Gonzaga 5-2
Feb. 20, 2008
When the Eastern Washington University women's tennis team looked at its 2008 schedule and the fact that it was playing the first eight matches on the road, the first four of which versus nationally-ranked opposition, it may have appeared daunting to the team. The Eagles, however, have rallied from a 0-5 start to its season to win three straight, the most recent coming by a 5-2 score over rival Gonzaga on Wednesday (Feb. 20).
Gonzaga (2-5) then got off to a fast start in singles by taking the first two contests to finish on the first and second courts. The Eagles, however, gained control right back by finishing off a pair of impressive three-set decisions on courts three and four. Sarah Leuenberger recorded her second straight comeback win, prevailing tonight 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 at three. Mankovits won her third straight singles contest, 6-3, 0-6, 6-1, in the fourth position.
This marks the third straight year Eastern Washington (3-5) has won its annual road match with Gonzaga (the teams have played a home-and-home series for the past several years). Each of those three scores was 5-2.
The Eagles now look forward to a nine-day break from competition and their first home match of the season. That contest will also be EWU's second Big Sky Conference match of the season, as Idaho State will pay a visit on March 1. First serve is slated for 9 a.m. In fact, Eastern (1-0 BSC) will play home league matches on March 8 and 9, as well, while also taking a short road trip to Lewis-Clark State on March 2.
Eastern Washington vs Gonzaga
2/20/08 at Spokane, Wash.
Eastern Washington 5, Gonzaga 2
1. Emily Anderson (GU) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-0, 7-6 (4)
2. Aglaya Kokurina (GU) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Clare Dodge (GU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
5. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Rika Mehndiratta (GU) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Erin Humphrey (GU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Erin Humphrey/Danielle Farmer (GU) 8-6
2. Emily Anderson/Aglaya Kokurina (GU) def. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 8-4
3. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Clare Dodge/Sydney Lederhouse (GU) 8-2
Eastern Washington 3-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)