Feb. 21, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women’s tennis team improved to 1-1 in Big Sky Conference play with a dominating 6-1 home win over Portland State on Saturday morning (Feb. 21).
The Eagles (3-3, 1-1 BSC) claimed each of the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead into singles play before jumping out to a 3-0 lead on their way to the victory. The most dominating win came at court three, courtesy of an 8-1 win by Kasie King and Caitlin Bampton.
In singles, Rachel Berger had a dominating 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 3. The last time an Eagle has recorded a double-love win came when Kasey Knox and Berger each did so in a 7-0 victory over UC Santa Cruz on March 23, 2008.
Also earning straight-sets wins today were Mankovits at court two, 6-4, 6-3, Caitlin Bampton on court five by 6-0, 6-3 scores and Judy Liening at the No. 6 position, 6-1, 6-1.
The lone victory of the day for Portland State (2-8, 0-3 BSC) was earned by Knox’s sister, Molly, who defeated Marie Demerath, 7-5, 6-4, in the No. 1 match.
Eastern Washington is back in action at 3 p.m. on Sunday (Feb. 22) versus Idaho with its third of a five-match home stand. The Vandals are 5-4 and will take on Portland State on the EWU campus in the morning prior to facing the Eagles that afternoon.
Portland State vs Eastern Washington
Feb 21, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 6, Portland State 1
1. KNOX, Molly (PSU) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) 6-4, 7-5
2. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) def. FERRY, Alyssa (PSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) def. DALKIN, Anya (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. King, Kasie (EWU-W) def. STOCKING, Caitlin (PSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. BRAVO, Victoria (PSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) def. GLEASON, Kylea (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. DEMERATH, Marie/MANKOVITS, Amanda (EWU-W) def. KNOX, Molly/STOCKING, Caitlin (PSU) 8-6
2. BERGER, Rachel/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) def. DALKIN, Anya/FERRY, Alyssa (PSU) 8-4
3. KING, Kasie/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. BRAVO, Victoria/GLEASON, Kylea (PSU) 8-1
Portland State 2-8, 0-3 BSC
Eastern Washington 3-3, 1-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2,1,5,6,4)