March 8, 2008
With its sixth straight win, the Eastern Washington University women's tennis team moved to 3-0 in Big Sky Conference play with a dominating 6-1 home win over Northern Colorado on Saturday afternoon (March 8). The winning streak is the team's longest since the 1993 squad set the school record with eight consecutive victories.
The Eagles (6-5) grabbed control of today's match by securing the doubles point with wins on courts two and three by identical 8-3 scores. Marie Demerath and Sarah Leuenberger were victorious at 2, while Kerstyn Dolack and Rachel Berger claimed the win at 3.
Then, in singles, Eastern Washington achieved victories in the first four matches to finish (Dolack at 2, Kasey Knox at 1, Leuenberger at 3 and Amanda Mankovits at 4, her sixth straight) before Berger needed to retire. The most commanding Eagle win of the day, a 6-1, 6-2 victory crafted by Demerath, followed to close out the day's play.
Eastern Washington will now look ahead to one of its most challenging matches of the year, as Northern Arizona will pay a visit to Cheney for an 8 a.m. contest on Sunday (March 9). The Lumberjacks (10-7) are 3-1 in Big Sky play and nearly snapped perennial league power Sacramento State's 43-match winning streak on Feb. 15 before falling to the Hornets 4-3 on Feb. 15.
Northern Colorado vs Eastern Washington
3/8/08 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 6, Northern Colorado 1
1. Kasey Knox (EWU) def. Tabatha Knop (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Tiffany Knop (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Manuela Santos (UNC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-0
4. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Karen Groll (UNC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Luiza Xavier (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jodi Ciarvella (UNC) def. Rachel Berger (EWU) 6-4, retired
1. Tabatha Knop/Manuela Santos (UNC) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-6
2. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Karen Groll/Jodi Ciarvella (UNC) 8-3
3. Rachel Berger/Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Hannah LaForest/Tiffany Knop (UNC) 8-3
Northern Colorado 3-9, 0-4 BSC
Eastern Washington 6-5, 3-0 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,4,6,5)