Eagle Women Win Third Straight
March 8, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women’s tennis team finished off an impressive 3-0 road trip by winning on Sunday morning (March 8) in its third try in three days, 5-2 over Utah State. Earlier in the weekend, the Eagles had dispatched Weber State and Idaho State in Big Sky Conference tilts.
The weekend’s results were especially impressive considering how banged up the team is.
“Four of our players have the flu, one has back spasms and one has shoulder issues, and they sucked it up, battled hard and played with everything they had and got it done,” associate head women’s coach Dale Silha said.
In today’s contest, the Eagles (7-5) grabbed early control of the contest by taking two of the three doubles contests. Victorious at No. 2 were Judy Liening and Rachel Berger by an 8-4 score, which clinched the doubles tally, while Caitlin Bampton and Kasie King prevailed by a perfect 8-0 score on court three.
In singles, the Aggies (2-8) quickly tied the score 1-1 when Marie Demerath needed to retire from her contest at No. 1. However, the Eagles then quickly went up 3-1 with identical 6-3, 6-1 wins on courts four and three, respectively, from Caitlin Bampton and Rachel Berger.
Following a Utah State victory on the second court, the Eagles put the team result in the bag with two more straight-set victories. King clinched the team win with a 6-0, 6-4 victory at No. 5, while Liening finished off Eastern’s successful day with a 6-4, 6-2 win.
The Eagles will now take 13 days off from competition and focus on preparing for winter quarter final exams (to take place March 16-19) before hitting the road again. Eastern will play Colorado State at 11 a.m. Pacific Time on March 21 in the first of five contests in a five-day span in three different states.
Eastern Washington vs Utah State
Mar 08, 2009 at Logan, Utah
Eastern Washington 5, Utah State 2
1. Hailey Swenson (USU) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) 3-0, retired
2. Bridgette Strickland (USU) def. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) 6-4, 6-1
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) def. Monica Abella (USU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. Taylor Perry (USU) 6-3, 6-1
5. King, Kasie (EWU-W) def. Carla Limon (USU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) def. Britney Watts (USU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Bridgette Strickland/Hailey Swenson (USU) def. MANKOVITS, Amanda/DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) 8-1
2. LIENING, Judy/BERGER, Rachel (EWU-W) def. Monica Abella/Carla Limon (USU) 8-4
3. BAMPTON, Caitlin/KING, Kasie (EWU-W) def. Britney Watts/Taylor Perry (USU) 8-0
Eastern Washington 7-5
Utah State 2-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,3,2,5,6)
The Eastern Washington University men’s tennis team won all three doubles contests and took three of the first four singles contests to third sets, but fell to Idaho 4-3 at home on Sunday afternoon (March 8).
The Eagles (7-6) were dominating in doubles. Julian Sanchez and Daniel Pez teamed up for a convincing 8-3 win at court two, while the No. 1 team of Kyle Schraeder and Nico Riego de Dios as well as the No. 3 duo of Kevin Anderson and Art Karas earned 8-6 victories.
Unfortunately for Eastern, Idaho (9-5) then proceeded to claim the first four singles contests to finish, three of them in three sets, to clinch the team win. Three of the four first sets in those matches went to tiebreakers.
Chad Henninger earned Eastern Washington its second point of the day with an impressive 6-3, 6-3 victory on court six, while Julian Sanchez wrapped up the day’s action with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 victory on court five.
The Eagles (2-1 BSC) will play a pivotal Big Sky Conference match on Friday (March 13) at 3 p.m. in their last home contest until April 9. Montana (2-1, 1-0 BSC) will pay a visit to the EWU campus.
Idaho vs Eastern Washington
Mar 08, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
Idaho 4, Eastern Washington 3
1. KUZNETSOV, Artem (UI) def. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. GLUKHOV, Stanislav (UI) def. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-3
3. JOITOIU, Alexandru (UI) def. Karas, Art (EWU-M) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-2
4. CHALKLEY, Robert (UI) def. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
5. Sanchez, Julian (EWU-M) def. SHIN, Alan (UI) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) def. McDONALD, Hugh (UI) 6-3, 6-3
1. SCHRAEDER, Kyle/RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico (EWU-M) def. KUZNETSOV, Artem/GLUKHOV, Stanislav (UI) 8-6
2. SANCHEZ, Julian/PEZ, Daniel (EWU-M) def. JOITOIU, Alexandru/CHALKLEY, Robert (UI) 8-3
3. ANDERSON, Kevin/KARAS, Art (EWU-M) def. HUYNH, Timothy/McDONALD, Hugh (UI) 8-6
Eastern Washington 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,2,1,6,5)