Eastern Moves to 4-1 in Big Sky
March 22, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team won its seventh contest out of eight tries on Saturday morning (March 22), defeating Weber State 6-1 in a match played in Spokane, Wash.
The Eagles (7-6) are 4-1 in Big Sky play, not only their best league start ever recorded since Eastern Washington entered the NCAA Division I ranks in 1984, but the four wins tie the school record in that category (last year's team finished 4-3 in league contests).
Weber State grabbed the doubles point today by taking the contests played on courts two and three, but the Eagles stormed out of the gates once singles play commenced by claiming each of the first five contests to finish in straight sets. Rachel Berger then finished off the perfect singles day with a 4-6, 6-4, (10-7) victory at No. 6.
Amanda Mankovits won her match on court five, 6-0, 6-0, the first double-love win by an Eastern player in a spring match since Jennifer Jolley accomplished the feat on court six in a 4-3 win over Northern Colorado on April 14, 2006.
The Eagles will play UC Santa Cruz at 3 p.m. on Sunday (March 23) in a match to also be contested at Whitworth University in Spokane. The Banana Slugs (4-5) enter the match with a four-match streak of their own.
Weber State vs Eastern Washington
3/22/08 at Spokane, Wash.
Eastern Washington 6, Weber State 1
1. Kasey Knox (EWU) def. Gabriela Venditto (WSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Inalise Pienaar (WSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Ashley Schapper (WSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Greyce Farias (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Keya Adamson (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Elsje Beneke (WSU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Inalise Pienaar/Ashley Schapper (WSU) 8-4
2. Gabriela Venditto/Keya Adamson (WSU) def. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 8-6
3. Elsje Beneke/Kelli Lindley (WSU) def. Rachel Berger/Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 8-5
Weber State 3-10, 1-3 BSC
Eastern Washington 7-6, 4-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,3,5,4,6)