March 25, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team wrapped up a challenging road trip of four matches in five days on a winning note, defeating Grand Canyon by a 5-2 score on Wednesday morning (March 25).
The Eagles took quick control of the match by claiming each of the three doubles contests by a combined 24-5 score, earning the doubles tally and taking a 1-0 advantage. After the first three singles matches to finish play each went Eastern's way, the Eagles had an insurmountable 4-0 advantage.
The most dominating singles victory came courtesy of Amanda Mankovits, who had a 6-1, 6-0 win on court two. Rachel Berger also dominated her opponent on the third court, 6-1, 6-2, while Caitlin Bampton (No. 3) and Judy Liening (No. 6) picked up straight-set wins, as well.
Eastern Washington will now take 14 days off from competition before returning to action in Pullman, Wash. The Eagles will face Washington State at 6 p.m. on April 9 before taking on UC Santa Barbara at the same site the following morning.
Eastern Washington vs Grand Canyon
Mar 25, 2009 at Phoenix, Ariz.
Eastern Washington 5, Grand Canyon 2
1. HALDEMAN, Stephanie (GCU) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) def. GRIFFIN, Stefanie (GCU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) def. BRUNK, Veronica (GCU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. PELTIN, Karen (GCU) 6-3, 6-3
5. PRUDHOMME, Mandy (GCU) def. King, Kasie (EWU-W) 7-5, 6-3
6. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) def. SUMENKOVA, Tatiana (GCU) 6-2, 6-4
1. DEMERATH, Marie/MANKOVITS, Amanda (EWU-W) def. HALDEMAN, Stephanie/BRUNK, Veronica (GCU) 8-2
2. BERGER, Rachel/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) def. PELTIN, Karen/PRUDHOMME, Mandy (GCU) 8-1
3. KING, Kasie/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) def. GRIFFIN, Stefanie/JACKSON, Amanda (GCU) 8-2
Eastern Washington 8-8
Grand Canyon 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,4,5,6,1)
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team defeated host Weber State by a 5-2 score on Wednesday afternoon (March 25), in the process improving its Big Sky Conference record to 4-1 and moving into second place in the league standings.
Eastern (11-6) responded impressively from a 2-0 deficit by taking the next five points. Weber State grabbed early control of the contest by securing the doubles point and the first singles match to finish play before the Eagles started building their momentum.
Art Karas had a perfect day, as he teamed up with Kevin Anderson for an 8-2 doubles victory on the third court before prevailing at No. 3 singles by 7-6, 6-3 scores. In addition to Karas, Nico Riego de Dios and Julian Sanchez also recorded straight-set singles wins.
Gutting out three-set matches were Daniel Pez and Chad Henninger. Each had lost their respective first sets before rallying for wins.
The Eagles get right back into action with another Big Sky match at 8 a.m. Pacific Time on Thursday (March 26), this one against Idaho State (0-9, 0-3 BSC). Eastern will then head down to BYU and face the 63rd-ranked Cougars (9-8) at 5 p.m. that evening.
Eastern Washington vs Weber State
Mar 25, 2009 at Ogden, UT
Eastern Washington 5, Weber State 2
1. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. KIEHNE, Sascha (WSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. UNGER, Simon (WSU) def. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) 6-1, 6-1
3. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. HIPP, Henning (WSU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. WILLIAMS, Chris (WSU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Sanchez, Julian (EWU-M) def. COVINGTON, Travis (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) def. MARCHANT, Spencer (WSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. KIEHNE, Sascha/UNGER, Simon (WSU) def. #72 RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico/SCHRAEDER, Kyle (EWU-M) 8-5
2. HIPP, Henning/COVINGTON, Travis (WSU) def. PEZ, Daniel/SANCHEZ, Julian (EWU-M) 8-4
3. ANDERSON, Kevin/KARAS, Art (EWU-M) def. WILLIAMS, Chris/MARCHANT, Spencer (WSU) 8-2
Eastern Washington 11-6; 4-1 BSC
Weber State 6-8; 2-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,5,6,4)