March 26, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team got its Spring Break road trip off to a start on Wednesday evening (March 26), when the Eagles lost to the host Pacific Tigers 5-2. Eastern Washington now sets its sights on Big Sky Conference matches at Sacramento State and Montana State.
In tonight's contest, the Tigers took control of the contest by sweeping the three doubles contests and then taking the first two singles matches to finish play to take a commanding 3-0 lead. At that point Rachel Berger finished off a 6-1, 6-1 win on court six, but it would not be enough, as UOP clinched its win shortly thereafter.
Marie Demerath also had a victory for the Eagles, as she was victorious by 6-4, 2-6, (10-5) scores on the fourth court.
The Eagles (8-7, 4-1 BSC) will now play a pair of road league matches, first at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday (March 27) against Sacramento State (11-4, 3-0 BSC) before facing Montana State (5-3, 1-1 BSC) at 8 a.m. Pacific Time on Sunday (March 30).
Eastern Washington vs Pacific
3/26/08 at Stockton, Calif.
Pacific 5, Eastern Washington 2
1. Jolanta Twarowska (UOP) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Svenja Arens (UOP) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Kateryna Nezhura (UOP) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Clara Schuhmacher (UOP) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Sasha Fisher (UOP) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Amber Abdallah (UOP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jolanta Twarowska/Olga Gumenyuk (UOP) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-1
2. Svenja Arens/Sasha Fisher (UOP) def. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) 8-5
3. Clara Schuhmacher/Kateryna Nezhura (UOP) def. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) 8-6
Eastern Washington 8-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,6,1,4,5)