April 15, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team closed out its 2008 home schedule with a tough 4-3 loss to Hawai'i. The Eagles finish its regular-season play this weekend before heading to the Big Sky Conference Championship a week later as either a four or a five seed.
In today's contest, the team result came down to No. 5 singles, as the competitors were just completing their first set when the rest of the action finished up stalemated at 3-3. Eagle Amanda Mankovits and Jennifer Goldman played a pair of tight sets before Goldman prevailed by 7-5, 7-5 scores.
Hawai'i gained early momentum by taking 2-of-3 doubles matches to attain the doubles point. The Rainbow Wahine also went up 2-1 and 3-2 on its way to the victory.
The Eagles (8-12) will take on host Lewis-Clark State (8-7) at 11 a.m. on Saturday (April 19) before facing Idaho (14-8) at 5 p.m. later that day. Both matches will take place in Lewiston, Idaho.
Hawai'i vs Eastern Washington
4/15/08 at Cheney, Wash.
Hawai'i 4, Eastern Washington 3
1. Sophie Kobuch (UH) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Natasha Zorec (UH) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Chloe Bihag (UH) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Julia Sandborn (UH) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jennifer Goldman (UH) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Brittany Beswick (UH) 6-0, 6-2
1. Sophie Kobuch/Chloe Bihag (UH) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-6
2. Natasha Zorec/Jennifer Goldman (UH) def. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) 8-3
3. Rachel Berger/Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Marie Tanaka/Julia Sandborn (UH) 8-5
Eastern Washington 8-12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,1,3,2,6,5)