April 26, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team ran into the buzzsaw that is the 51st-ranked Sacramento State Hornets, as the Eagles fell to the host school 4-0 in a Big Sky Conference semifinal contest on Saturday morning (April 26) in Gold River, Calif.
Sacramento State moved its Big Sky winning streak to 51 matches and will go for its seventh-straight league title on Sunday (April 27).
The best performance by an Eagle today came courtesy of Sarah Leuenberger, as she claimed the first set of her match on court three, which was stopped early in the second when Sacramento State clinched the team result, the procedure in postseason competition.
In finished singles contests, Marie Demerath played well in a 6-4, 6-2 loss on the fourth court.
"The girls battled today and just ran up against a really strong team who played well," interim head coach Darren Haworth said.
The Eagles saw a historic season come to an end today. The day before, EWU won its first postseason match in 14 years with a convincing 4-0 win over Montana, snapping a 29-match losing streak in those contests.
The team finished the campaign with a 10-14 record, attaining a double-digit win total for just the fifth time since joining the NCAA Division I ranks in 1984. The last time an Eagle squad won 10 contests was 15 years ago, when the 1993 team finished 10-8.
In Big Sky contests, the team finished at .500 or better record in Big Sky play for just the second time ever, going 4-4 (last year's squad finished 4-3 in league play).
Eastern Washington vs Sacramento State
4/26/2008 at Gold River, Calif.
(Gold River Racquet Club)
#51 Sacramento State 4, Eastern Washington 0
1. #36 Katrina Zheltova (SAC) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) vs. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 7-5, 5-0, unfinished
3. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) vs. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 2-6, 2-1, unfinished
4. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Marie Demerath (EWU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Joyce Martinez (SAC) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Aileen Tsan (SAC) vs. Rachel Berger (EWU) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
1. Katrina Zheltova/Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-1
2. Joyce Martinez/Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) 8-2
3. Anastassia Lyssenko/Aileen Tsan (SAC) vs. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) 7-5, unfinished
Eastern Washington 10-14
Sacramento State 20-6; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,5,4)
2008 Big Sky Championship
No. 2 Semifinal